The online donations for Relay For Life 2014 will be closing very soon. If you would like to make a donation please do so here, before 3th October. We will still be accepting offline funds after this date, but only for another couple of weeks.
However, don’t worry! Relay For Life 2015 will be launching very soon and we will let you know as soon as it’s available!
We all know it’s helpful to be out raising money for Cancer Research UK. But where does your money go? It is, in fact, a huge range of activities and ongoing scientific research projects. Here are just a few examples.
£95 can cover the cost of one woman to take part in a clinical trial, aiming to improve survival for post-menopausal women with early-stage breast cancer.
£260 can buy a microarray, which examines around 50,000 genes in a tumour sample, all in one go!!
£457 can enable a man to take part in a study looking for the best way to treat early-stage prostate cancer after surgery
If you didn’t get to Relay 2014 – or you’d like to relive some of the highlights, we’re chuffed to say that Harrow local historian and documentarist, Husain Akhtar, was there; camera in hand; and has produced a rather lovely video to share with everyone. Enjoy!
If your feet aren’t sore from beating the track, we’ve got a cracking local event coming up in support of Cancer Research UK.
Paul Stone from fab band The Soul Agents contacted us to tell us about a gig they’re doing on 27th September at the Scout Hall in Hatch End – all in support of Relay For Life and Cancer Research.
Tickets are only £15 including pizza and snacks – BYOB. Paul is a proud survivor himself, and we’re over the moon that the band is performing for such a good cause!
Check out the flyer for more info!
As ever, well done and thank you for all the work you have done to make Relay successful and to support the amazing work done by Cancer Research UK!!
We still have a month to collect in monies.
But did you know that some companies will give you a significant helping hand? It’s worth asking at work if your company supports corporate matching or donations towards your charity funds. It’s a way for businesses to make themselves more tax-efficient, while supporting charities which are close to the heart of their employees – like you!
We know that a number of companies do this, so we have put together a list of the ones we know of below; but if your company is not on the list, it’s still worth asking them – after all, if you don’t ask, you don’t get! This is a great way of helping Cancer Research UK make Cancer History and make the most out of the work you have already put in!!
Here is a list of companies who have provided us with additional funds in the past:
- Abbey National (match up to £700)
- Alliance & Leicester
- Arla Oods
- Barclays bank
- Boots (up to £500)
- Bradford & Bingley (up to £250)
- British Gas
- Cable & Wireless (up to £1000)
- Carlsberg Tetley will double the amount raised
- Co-operative Bank
- HSBC (up to £500)
- Legal & General (up to £750)
- National Grid
- Norwich Union
- O2 (up to £250)
- RSB Group. i.e Direct Line, Natwest and The One Account
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- WH Smith
- Yorkshire Bank
- If your employer is not on the list it is still worth asking!!!
If you’re on a team, here’s a handy list of the sort of things to bring with you!
‘Cake’ wasn’t on the original list. But what’s a weekend of fun without cake? Hmmm? See you tomorrow!
- Clothes. Quite a lot of them.
- Two pairs of comfy shoes and extra socks too
- Extra warm layers for overnight. The temperature drops down quite sharply at about midnight at this time of year
- Cake. The cake goes down quite nicely at about midnight at this time of year
- Waterproofs/coats and brollies (just in case)
- Sun cream – stay safe!
- Any personal entertainment bits and pieces you may want (iPods, books, personal DVD players, giant sudoku annual 2014…)
- Any fancy dress clobber for our themed laps (Dr Who / SciFi, Check your Bits, Healthy Eating, Creative Lap Award)
- A sleeping bag and tent. If you can see the sky, you have forgotten this.
- Camera – we want your piccies!
- Relay T-Shirt – to be worn with pride!